List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC][NEW] Utility to find orphaned files
From:       Enrico Weigelt <weigelt () metux ! de>
Date:       2010-04-30 16:24:16

* Daniel Pielmeier <billie@gentoo.org> schrieb:

> What about searching the complete file system but using an exclude file where
> you can put directories and files which should not be searched. It is tedious to
> tell every path on the command-line. Also for instance if you specify /lib it
> will also search under /lib/modules and I am sure you do not consider all
> contents there as unneeded.

hmm, perhaps there's some way to assign these files to some package ?

> You also need to consider that your tool will return other false positives like
> byte compiled python modules and perl header files. In general everything an
> ebuild does in phases where it adds files to file-system but files are not
> stored to CONTENTS (pkg_{pre,post}inst). At this point the files are needed but
> not recognized by the package manager. If the ebuild does not take care of this
> files when removing (pkg_{pre,post}rm) the package they will remain on the
> file-system and are now unneeded.

Assuming these files are not optional/temporary (aka: can be regenerated on
the fly), I see a generic design problem here: everything belonging to some
package (excluding content data and configs, of course) should be assigned
to the package.

The big Q: how can we achieve this ?

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/