List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: emerge -C eselect-python disaster
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2010-01-26 1:26:53

Dale posted on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:06:06 -0600 as excerpted:

> I am subscribed to -user as well.  I been using Gentoo since the 1.4
> days.  This is about improving portage which is a good thing to talk
> about here.  The devs do it, not the user.  ;-)  Also, I already know
> how to use portage pretty good.  I'm not asking for support just trying
> to improve things.

Do note that there's a portage-specific list as well.  IDR what the name
is but on gmane (where I follow it) it's the
gmane.linux.gentoo.portage.devel newsgroup.  It's not a user list either,
but they're reasonably friendly and it wouldn't be bothering the non-
portage devs that way.

As for this, I say let it be (except for possibly making -C output a
bigger warning in general).  The documentation is pretty clear, and Gentoo
never has been about hand-holding.  If a user can't read the documentation
and thus asks to screw themselves, Gentoo provides the tools to do it --
and they're POWER tools, too! =:^)  I don't see that changing and don't
believe it should.  There's other distributions out there for users who
want or need a namby-pamby baby-sat hand-held version. Gentoo is not and
never has been the right choice for them, and I don't believe we should be
trying to make it so.  (That said, a warning on -C similar to that on -c,
might be wise, but that's an implementation detail the discussion of which
doesn't belong here.)