List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev]  [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
From:       Caleb Tennis <caleb () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-06-21 13:21:27

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 12:40, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with kde4 approaching and the new Qt-4 being in the tree we suddenly see
> the same problems that gtk had with the gtk2 flag again.

I think there's a lot of good thoughts surrounding how to handle this.  There
are 2 categories of packages we need to concern ourselves with:

1) A package can optionally add support for Qt3 or Qt4 (such as dbus).

Solution: The qt flag represents the latest qt major version for the package.
The maintainer can either put in another flag for the older version (qt3?) or
provide a separate package (e.g. dbus-qt3 ).

2) A package requires either Qt3 or Qt4 (both not both?...such as
x11-libs/qwt-5).

Solution: Build against qt4.  If you want to provide the same package for the
qt3 version, add a new package to portage I suppose.

--------

In the end, this is just merely suggestion.  I think each maintainer should
come up with the best way to handle the situation unless someone is going to
GLEP this.

I think we should, however, do our best to avoid a situation where we have
some ugly combination of USE="qt -qt3" or USE="qt4 -qt qt3"...