On Tuesday 20 June 2006 12:40, Stefan Schweizer wrote: > Hi, > > with kde4 approaching and the new Qt-4 being in the tree we suddenly see > the same problems that gtk had with the gtk2 flag again. I think there's a lot of good thoughts surrounding how to handle this. There are 2 categories of packages we need to concern ourselves with: 1) A package can optionally add support for Qt3 or Qt4 (such as dbus). Solution: The qt flag represents the latest qt major version for the package. The maintainer can either put in another flag for the older version (qt3?) or provide a separate package (e.g. dbus-qt3 ). 2) A package requires either Qt3 or Qt4 (both not both?...such as x11-libs/qwt-5). Solution: Build against qt4. If you want to provide the same package for the qt3 version, add a new package to portage I suppose. -------- In the end, this is just merely suggestion. I think each maintainer should come up with the best way to handle the situation unless someone is going to GLEP this. I think we should, however, do our best to avoid a situation where we have some ugly combination of USE="qt -qt3" or USE="qt4 -qt qt3"... -- gentoo-dev@gentoo.org mailing list