List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Is RESTRICT=nouserpriv necessary for vpopmail?
From:       Georgi Georgiev <chutz () gg3 ! net>
Date:       2005-01-31 3:20:01

Does anyone know if vpopmail *really* has to be configured as root?

I tried disabling the "are-we-running-as-root" check in configure.in and
it seems to install fine. I compared the files in ${D}/ and my live
filesystem.  Permissions and ownerships seem to be consistent.

If this works, isn't it better to patch configure.in rather than set
RESTRICT? Unless, of course, someone knows why vpopmail requires one to
be root...

The patch if someone wants to try it is (better apply it by hand)

                '/printf.*vpopmail<s/>:vpopmail (:(:' \
                vdelivermail.c vpopbull.c vqmaillocal.c \
                || die "failed to remove vpopmail advertisement"
+       sed -i \
+               's/if test `$idcommand` != "0"/if false/' \
+               configure.in \
+               || die "Cannot disable root config"

        gnuconfig_update
        autoconf || die "reconfigure failed."

--
()   Georgi Georgiev   () Artificial intelligence has the same         ()
()    chutz@gg3.net    () relation to intelligence as artificial       ()