List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
From:       "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-09-30 23:14:10

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 01:06:38AM +0200, Ioannis Aslanidis wrote:
> What happens is that if I install Gentoo ina laboratory of machines, I
> don't want to have to do extra configuration... that's all: I'm lazy
> ;)
Then develop things properly:
1. customized rsync tree contain a custom profile (very easy with
cascading profiles now).
2. partimage (on your own custom livecd) to deploy an initial system
image.
3. Update each machine as you see suitable.

#3 is the only place Portage falls a little bit short presently,
requiring you to run emerge on each machine - you can use binary
packages to speed things up - but you still have to utilize each
machine. There are a few requests in bugzilla about this, for something
like the high-end RHN setup, where you can select all of your machines
on a webpage, and install a package on them directly. It's mainly
waiting on some features in Portage to be developed (an api/interface to
'emerge') before the rest of it is possible.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2@orbis-terrarum.net