List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
From:       Ioannis Aslanidis <aslanidis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-09-30 23:06:38

What happens is that if I install Gentoo ina laboratory of machines, I
don't want to have to do extra configuration... that's all: I'm lazy
;)

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 00:57:20 +0200, Tom Payne <twp@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but I get the impression that the
> there's a misunderstanding here which seems to be the causing the
> disagreement.
>
> The system profile is /not/ the same as what's on the installation CD.
>
> The system profile is the "minimum" Gentoo system -- just the bare bones
> (init scripts, glibc, gcc, portage, that sort of thing).
>
> The installation CD includes the system profile and lots of useful other
> things, like a web browser (links).
>
> This means that if dhcpc is not in the system profile:
> 1) it'll still be on the installation CD so you can install over your
> broadband connection, and
> 2) if you need it then you'll have to emerge manually (much like you already
> have to emerge a system logger and a crond if you want them).
>
> You do not need dhcp to run a minimum Gentoo system so it can be safely
> removed from the system profile.
>
> --
> Tom
>

> --

Ioannis Aslanidis
<deathwing00[at]forums.gentoo.org> 0xC2539DA3
<aioannis[at]tinet.org> 0xF202D067
<dwcommander[at]users.sourceforge.net>

Hellenic Gentoo GNU/Linux project manager (http://hellenicgentoo.sf.net)
FIRECOPS++ project manager (http://firecops.sf.net)
Gentoo Forums Global  Moderator (http://forums.gentoo.org)

Computer Engineering student at Universitat Rovira i Virgili