List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.2 Feature Requests
From:       John Davis <zhen () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-05-02 23:56:06

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 19:46, Nick Rout wrote:

> How about publishing the .spec files that have been used to make the
> releases, so that those who want to make their own CD with their own
> kernel, or extra features like distcc, can do so.
>
> I have recently made a distcc livecd, and used a combination of the
> example catalyst specs (USE="doc" emerge catalyst), hand coding of the
> chroot install image etc. It would have been easier if I had the actual
> 2004.1 .spec files and a decent howto on catalyst (ie a howto  for
> people who are not already in the know.) My livecd is largely a hack and
> I don't know if i could repeat it. Of course during this time catalyst
> has gone from 1.04 to 1.07 and 2004.1 has been released. But hey
> it certainly was easier than using livecd-ng this time a year ago!
>
> Not being critical, but catalyst has great potential for all sorts of
> things, its just that IMHO its not that easy to get to  grips with.
>
> Anyway,  publication of the .spec files would surely enhance the
> "open-ness" of the release cycle.
>
> (Maybe the .spec files are released, but I don't know where to find them?)

Nick -
There is a livecd stage1 template specfile linked off of the release
guidelines (which are linked off of the releng project page
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng). As for livecd stage2, we can
surely work on including those either in the release notes or on the cd
itself.

Catalyst documentation is in the works. In my spare time (heh) I am
writing up a comprehensive Catalyst howto - right now it only covers
stages, but after finals are done I am going to try and complete it. You
can find it at
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/docs/catalyst-howto.xml.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
//zhen
--
John Davis
Gentoo Linux Developer

----
GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
Fingerprint: 2364 71BD 4BC2 705D F338  FF70 6650 1235 1946 2D47