List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Redux: 2004.1 will not include a secure portage.
From:       John Nilsson <john () milsson ! nu>
Date:       2004-03-30 0:53:59

I was trying to point out the fact that any system relies on trust and
to device a sensible system we have to pick a few things to trust.
You have to trust the interface with witch you perform the signing.
How much effort that is required to trust a component should be
discussed.
I believe that there are some human elements that can be 'fixed'. Some
room for human errors can be removed if it would be impossible for the
keeper of the master key to extract the private key from the signing
tool, even if he/she wanted to.

-John