List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] RE: creating ebuilds
From:       Jeff Stuart <jstuart () computer-city ! net>
Date:       2004-01-07 6:18:50

Allen Parker wrote:
> Personally, I found it to be a pain in the rear to see 1 1/2 yr old
> ebuilds relating to the packages I was developing ebuilds for in bugzilla,
> yet with information so stale as to be stinking the place up. I think that
> there are a lot of things that could be offered to Gentoo users without
> too much hassle by other Gentoo users as long as dev says "ok, that sounds
> fun." I mean, I got passed back and forth from hardened to general and
> back a few times and it was all because the devs reviewing my bug(s)
> didn't understand the packages.

I have to agree with Allen on this.  I submitted some ebuilds for some
WindowMaker apps almost 3 or 4 months ago.  Since then, I've moved on and
switched WM's twice. LOL  Yet, my ebuilds are STILL sitting in bugzilla yet
to be reviewed.  Every once in a while, I'll get a comment about one or two
of the submitted ebuilds.  And to be frank, since I'm not using it anymore,
I could care LESS what happens to em.

It annoys me (on a scale of 1 - 10 where 10 is full blown anger, it's
definitely a 1!) that user submitted ebuilds can take a WHILE to get
approved.  (Note: the ebuilds that I had submitted for the XFCE 4 rc
releases on the other hand were accepted within days of me submitting
em. :))  Kinda removes the feel that "power" is in the user's hands.

--
Jeff Stuart
jstuart@computer-city.net