List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] [PROPOSAL] Menu system for all gentoo wm's.
From:       Dan Armak <danarmak () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-05-30 6:06:03

On Friday 30 May 2003 00:58, Svyatogor wrote:
> > Anyway, what about the freedesktop.org standard for .desktop files? It
> > has some very nice features such as multiple categories per item,
> > multilpe-language descriptions, etc. More importantly, both kde and gnome
> > will use that standard in their next releases (maybe gnome already does,
> > not sure). So why don't we build on top of that? Other people in other
> > distros, as well as the developers of various packages and of WMs other
> > than kde and gnome, will surely be adding support for it in the future.
> > Why do we want yet another custom system? How is it better than what
> > freedesktop.org has (with perhaps portage-centric tools written to make
> > things easier)?
>
> I'm not really sure what you mean. But if I got it right I guess we could
> use their specification for the central menu, while it does not change the
> idea of generating wm-specific menu through the foo.menu  script. At leasr
> while 99% of window managers do not support it directly :)

Yes, that's what I meant. It's at
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html and
is only a draft so far, but kde and gnome already agree on it (they just
might jointly modify it a bit in the future). It's as good in itself as any
other proposal, I'd say, since we don't have to use all the advanced
features...

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)