List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] NPTL and Nvidia
From:       Martin Schlemmer <azarah () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-03-31 21:50:03

Hi

Just thought I would share some success.  Got the bug today that
the NVidia drivers version 1.0.4349 is out.

I first downloaded the new .bin file (only to later check on the ftp
if the old ones exist), and saw /usr/lib/tls dirs ...

Like a handful, I have been messing with NPTL and 2.5 kernels, so
I was Immediately excited, as I did not have any 3D for the last
few month (or never long).

After hassling with porting the 2.5 patches, I got it working, or
should I say loading rather.  But it does  not create the device
nodes, nor does X load ... just fails unable to initialize the
kernel module.  So I head up to minion, and hey .. already a
patch for this version.  No dice though.

After a few reboots and older 2.5 kernels, I left the kernel
side at 4191, and just installed nvidia-glx-1.0.4349 .. and
hey, X started.

Glxgears give me my odd 5000 again, and gliv is snappy again.
Sure, ut2003, ut or q3a do not work yet, but hey, its a start!

If somebody have some success with NPTL, and the 4349 kernel
module (with linux-2.5.65+), let me know.

Regards,

--=20

Martin Schlemmer
Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
Cape Town, South Africa