List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Runlevels
From:       "C. Brewer" <cbrewer () stealthaccess ! net>
Date:       2003-03-26 17:52:17

Well I wasn't really asking for the wheel reinvented, more of a move from bias-ply to \
steel belted radials. Starting in single mode and executing /sbin/rc default brings \
up local and metalog, skipped postfix and cron, and left me with only one vc and \
never did make it to the startDM script. What I was trying to say is that instead of \
using numbered init runlevels, the package I referred to allows such as "telinit \
default" "telinit nonetwork" and will execute them as such. Also the need(8) seems to \
take care of a lot of stuff through code that you currently use bash scripts for, and \
allows you to rollback to any point in a runlevel. It comes with a nice userspace \
demo that you can check out without altering your current init setup. I just figured \
that if its simplicity and flexibility wowed even me, that perhaps it wouldn't be \
lost on anyone truly in the know. I know the standard answer of develop it myself and \
submit it, but I'm not a developer, so my next resort is to appeal  to those that \
are:)

On an unrelated note, there must be a better way to report smaller bugs.. I mean do \
you really want to see a bugzilla report such as "Added ampersand to /sbin/rc to \
supress devfsd version output on boot"?

Thanks for your time:)
--
Chuck Brewer