List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] evolution making gnome-vfs degrade?
From:       Alan <alan () ufies ! org>
Date:       2003-01-10 22:41:18

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 05:51:58AM -0800, Spundun Bhatt wrote:
> Hi
>
> when I do emerge -u evolution -p
>
> I get in the list (among other items)
>

> [ebuild    UD] gnome-base/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r3 [2.0.4.1-r1]
>
> What does the letter D in the [ ] box mean? And why is the package nuber
> showing earlier release?
> If I should RTFM then which manual? (link will be really appreciated)
> Thanx a lot
> Spundun

You are right that D means downgrade.  I think what you are seeing here
is that evolution depends on the gnome 1 version of gnome-vfs, and it is
going to install that, and you have the gnome2 version installed (hence
the downgrade).

*however* in this it's not actually downgrading, as gnome-vfs has SLOTs,
so multiple versions can co-exist.  Therefor you're not actually
downgrading, but are getting another version.

Maybe an idea for another feature for portage would be to check for the
SLOT variable and use a different letter instead of D.  Maybe "P"arallel
install, or "A"dditional package?
(ccing to gentoo-dev)

alan

--