List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: [gentoo-admin] Building a second system]
From:       Jyrinx <jyrinx_list () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2003-01-07 22:59:22

> If I do it this way I would have to compile an entire bootstrap
> environment for the 486. Also I wouldn't get the benefits of having gcc
> optimized for the athlon.
> What I would like is to write a simple script to use when upgrading the
> server. Change the makefile and compile 486 optimized staticly linked
> binaries to packages that are later merged into the server.

I'm not much of a hacker, and I don't remember the context, but someone
once mentioned using distcc (distributed-computing version of gcc) for
this build-on-beefy-computer-for-older-one scenario; that way, you'd
build the system relatively quickly, and update it just as quickly, if
I'm not mistaken.

(Seems like this is a common task ... is there a FAQ or HOWTO for this
somewhere?)

Jyrinx
jyrinx_list@mindspring.com