List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Announcing new Prelinking Guide
From:       Bart Lauwers <blauwers () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-01-05 15:17:03

> I am not saying prelink isn't buggy BTW.
>
> The -f flag is needed if you have prelinked binaries already on the
> system, otherwise it will abort, that is another matter.....
>
> If you use -f you get around that problem, but you then encounter the
> other one, you are between a rock and a hard place it seems.

 I've found that the only way around the problem seems to be: prelink -ua,
followed by a reboot and prelink -a. reboot. (with an occasional tendency to
break things.)

 I've been wondering about the impact on portage however. Will portage know to
unmerge these prelinked binaries still? My guess would be no.

 General remark: Prelinking definitely promises to be great but unless your
willing to deal with some 'early adoption' quirks it isn't for you yet. I've
broken my system once or twice severely trying to gauge it's state. I would
say that some challenges remain before it is ready for the masses.