List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] glibc-2.3 and prelinking
From:       Quinn Harris <quinn () nmt ! edu>
Date:       2002-10-05 6:22:15

I have started to build a system with glibc-2.3 primarily to use
prelinking.  But I just realized that prelinking and portage aren't
going to get along.

The prelink tool will change binaries and shared libraries on the system
and therefor the modify time and the MD5 checksum.  I expect portage
will no longer properly unmerge these changed files.

The prelink tool can be changed to update the portage db probably by
using a wrapper script.  Or, portage could be modified to utilize
prelink to determine if the file was modified by prelink.  This is
explained in
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2002-10/msg00089.html

What would be the best solution?

Some info about prelinking
http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli/en/linking2/

On a side note.  gcc-3.2 won't compile right with glibc-2.3.  It looks
like the gcc-3.2-branch cvs has the problem fixed.
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-10/msg00333.html