List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] 1.4 RC1 - limited network drivers on live-cd
From:       Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith () kcco ! com>
Date:       2002-09-30 19:06:18

Greetings,

Sorry if I missed this while on vacation, but is there any reason for the
limited number of network drivers available on the 1.4-rc1 live CDs?  Several
common drivers are missing, such as eepro100, ns83820, and tulip (which
together encompass all of the NICs available to me).

Is it planned to add the missing network drivers to the boot CDs prior to the
final release of 1.4?  It would seem to make sense to compile every single
network driver available as a module, rather than just the few that are
currently available in /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net.  As it is, the live
CDs won't allow a network install of Gentoo 1.4 to a whole slew of hardware,
including every single PC I manage.  Indeed, without the eepro100 drivers
even the laptops are currently SOL.  I realize I can boot an old, functional
1.2 CD and cobble together a 1.4 install, but this does seem like a bit of an
oversight for a pending release.

Or have I missed something painfully obvious somewhere?

Jean.