List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Fwd: AboutGentoo Linux
From:       Bart Verwilst <verwilst () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-08-31 15:46:21

Subject: AboutGentoo Linux
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:48:58 +0300
From: Yovko Ilchev Yovkov <yyovkov@mail.bg>
To: verwilst@gentoo.org

Hello Boy(s)!!!

This letter is not only for you, but all the developers. I deside to send to
you, becouse I want to ask you for something.

But first I want to excuse me for my bad English!

So now I can thank you (and all others developers) for Gentoo.
I am "advanced Linux user". I am not a programmer or system administator or
web developer. I just use Linux for my home & work Desktop. Till few days ago
my favourite distribution was Slacware, becouse I like high aalablity
customising. But with slack there was some problems to tell it "UPDATE
YOUSELF". I tried also Debian. But there is too old pckages. I was thinking
obout do start to develop Linux with FreeBSD package system. My fried tell me
that there is something like that. Gentoo! I tried it befor few days (on
monday) and I fell in ove with it. So now I start to browse your
documentation (becouse I install Gentoo on my box). The only thing need to
made this perfect distribution for me is missing Bulgarian language. So I
will start to learn more about GENTOO and I hope soon I can do somthing
little about this. The things I want to take a look is the Bulgarian fonts
(we use preferly cp1251 & utf8), bulgarian spellchecker, kbedictionary
(bulgarian - english dictionary) & some other little things. I hop this time
will come soon.

So I want to ask you something. I thought you are developing ebuilds for
 licq. I emerge my licq and I found that in the file
"/usr/kde/3/share/applnk/Internet/licq.desktop"  in the line Exec=licq got to
be Exec=licq -p kde-gui. May be I am in wrong ... but in my box it work in
that way.

There may be one other problem but I have no time to test it right now. There
missing file "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/microsoft-cp1251/Compose" . Missing
of tthis file make crush X server when I try to start KDE for exampla. Only
thing we (you) must do is to touch this file.

So, thanks boy(s) for GENTOO, and I hope I can help you in some cases.

P.S: I've get myself mini CD (3.5'' i think) and burn my GENTOO on it. If you
have shipping something like that but with the GENTOO Logo on the side I will
beg you to tell where can I bye myself one. It's is very sweety in this way.

P.S.2: ot 8.sept. we'll have linux install Fest in Sofia (our capital sity
 and the biggest town). I will introduce GENTOO under theme "Big power of
 little distributions".

So now it's time to say Good Bye & Luck.

Yovko Yovkov