List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Very bad ebuild-writing practice.
From:       Blake Watters <sbw () metalab ! unc ! edu>
Date:       2002-08-17 18:40:33

Wouldn't it seem most reasonable for the ebuild author to create
snapshots, test them, and have those snapshots merged into Portage? Then
the package can be repackaged at a later date, tested again and released.
This also allows you to use the date as the version number, bypassing any
problems with the naming conventions.

I agree that hourly build releases should not make it into the portage
tree unmasked. Perhaps masking such packages or creating an experimental
organizational unit under portage for such packages to live would be
advantageous.

Blake