List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Installer Madness
From:       Bart Verwilst <verwilst () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-07-21 21:58:46

Ugh.. Ok.. over to plan B. :o)

I'll try to take a look at the code, davoid, could i count on you to guide me
into this project?

Ok. If somebody is willing to sign up for the installer creation, mail me in
person (again, sorry :o( ) with the first part of the subject "INSTALLER",
that way i can sort this stuff, and keep em in a seperate folder, so i don't
lose it :o) I can use quite some help :o)

See ya!

On Sunday 21 July 2002 23:16, Faust Tanasescu wrote:
|| Hello,
|| I am sorry to announce this but I will be on hiatus for some time. This is
|| due to the fact that my slow machine can't me used with gentoo for the
|| moment. Another reason is me starting to get pissed at the Linux kernel
|| and at the way the devs are working on it (kernel.org dudes). They add
|| functionality, drivers making the whole thing slower and more unstable.
|| That's my own opinion, just take a look at this "you have to recompile a
|| module for each krnel version you have" that is made so for epople who
|| release binary-only versions of their drivers for Linux. Anyways, I am a
|| little pissed. The main reason for my hiatus is because I have discovered
|| FreeBSD and fallen in love with it. It's robust, mature and has the latest
|| applications. It does everything I want for the moment and more. As far as
|| Gentoo goes, maybe I will be back to hack something when I get a new
|| machine and change my opinion about the Linux kernel. For instance
|| consider this bloat factor: apps now have to tell the kernel what type of
|| apps they are so they get proper scheduling. This is bloatware. Linux is a
|| windows replacement and going closer and closer to that 40mb of
|| kernel-space of WInXP... Anyways, I won't spoil your fun w/ gentoo, I am
|| only telling you that I have changed my mind about working on this
|| installer.
|| Thanks!
|| davoid
|| From: Bart Verwilst <verwilst@gentoo.org>
|| >To: <gentoo-dev@gentoo.org>
|| >Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] I am not a touch typest. Wish I were.
|| >Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:57:13 +0200
|| >
|| >We're working on a graphical installer...
|| >I'm planning to make it easier to install than Windows :)
|| >Ofcourse this will be optional, and the current install will always be
|| >available, and that's a garantee! :o)
|| >
|| >PS: This is a calling to everybody interessed, if you have ideas,
|| > drawings from the layout, you're a talented graphics dude, or something,
|| > don't hesitate to email me directly, we can use some help on this one :)
|| >
|| >Thanks!

|| >||

|| >||
|| >||