List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Install step order.
From:       "Paul Coucher" <pcoucher () demon ! net>
Date:       2002-02-26 8:42:08

Hi, I'm a new potential migratee from FreeBSD &, as with every distro I have
played with, find myself asking a question:

Why is the bootloader & bootability put in place & tested at the end of a
possibly lengthy install/net download?

Wouldn't it make sense to boot from the iso, partition, mkfs & build fstab,
transfer the cd kernel & install a bootloader.

Then you can reboot from the system, & prove that you can, before the
lengthy build process.

Sure the bootloader wouldn't be optimised for your processor - unless you
added the oportunity to edit make.conf & built the bootloader to the hdd,
but am I right in thinking that emerge could rebuild that later?

What am I missing?

Thanks for your time & thanks for the distro,
--
Paul Coucher,        pcoucher@demon.net       DDI: +44 (0)1702 214692

                   Redefining "24/7 Mission criticality"