List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] bug/issue tracker requirements
From:       Grant Goodyear <grant () g2 ! ces ! clemson ! edu>
Date:       2001-11-28 20:43:04

I'm absolutely the wrong person to put this topic together, but
I'll give it a stab anyway.

User requirements:
  1. Simple to add a bug, an ebuild or a patch, or a feature request.
  2. Current bugs/whatever easily displayed, preferably by priority
  3. Search system for bugs/whatever

My own opinion is that being able to easily scan the current bugs/to-dos
is very important, which is why I put (2) above (3).  I'm reasonably
agnostic over whether the submission interface should be via web,
e-mail, or both.  I like the way that roundup keeps a list of everybody
who has commented on a particular bug/to-do and sends an e-mail to
everybody on that list whenever a bug/to-do is updated.  I assume the
other bug trackers do something similar.

Dev requirements:
  1. All of the above user requirements.  Hey, we'll use it most!
  2. Ability to own a bug/to-do, set the priority, label it complete, etc.
  3. Probably lots of other things that I can't think of right now.

Now if somebody who actually uses one of these things would take up this
thread. . ..

-g2boojum-
|     Grant Goodyear                  |  The Secrets of Physics:   |
|     Dept. of Chemistry - Clemson U  |1. Add zero.                |
|     Clemson, SC  29634              |2. Multiply by one.         |
|e-mail: goodyea@clemson.edu          |4. Integrate by parts.      |
|www:bernacchi.chem.uh.edu/~grant     |5. Fourier transform.       |
|                                     |6. Add auxiliary variables  |