List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] baselayout ebuild
From:       "Aaron D. Brooks" <abrooks () css ! tayloru ! edu>
Date:       2001-11-06 21:04:01

After my own stupidity of being bitten, not once, but twice by the perl
build breaking because localhost was not in /etc/hosts I decided to plunk
around and figure out if that omission was intentional or not. It seems to
me that the baselayout ebuild (all versions that I have checked) is
broken.

The /etc/hosts file that is distributed in rc-scripts-(blah).tar.bz2 has
only comments and no real entries. The baselayout ebuild tries to append a
localhost line to /etc/hosts in src_install() but never makes it; it
returns before it gets to that point for the common case:
        #skip this if we are merging to ROOT
        [ "$ROOT" = "/" ] && return

I'm not sure that appending the localhost entry is the right thing to do
anyway. If I upgrade from one version of baselayout to another I will
accumulate localhost entries to my /etc/hosts. I don't think that
localhost need to be added dynamically -- it's a static entry.

I would suggest that this be added to the /etc/hosts in the rc-scripts
archive:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localnet	localhost

and that the /etc/networks in rc-scripts be changed from:

loopback	127.0.0.0

to:

localnet	172.0.0.0

The reason that I suggest these particular changes is that they are, I
belive, the most cannonical with regard to some DNS clients and tools.

-Aaron