List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] development update
From:       <drobbins () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2001-02-27 21:59:01

Hi All,

I felt the need to send out a quick development update, so here it is.  Portage
development is going very well; I now have recursive ebuilds working; the
algorithms are sound, but I still need to rework the code and do some testing.
I've fixed numerous bugs in portage.py. These changes haven't been committed
yet.  All in all, Portage is undergoing a dramatic change and will "feel" like
a whole new animal in the Portage 1.5 release.

Also, I've implemented the foundation of our new "system profile" support.
What this will mean in the near future is that virtual dependencies will be
resolved correctly.  So, if an ebuild needs virtual/x11-web-browser to be
installed, it'll consult the system profile "virtual" file and resolve
virtual/x11-web-browser to net-www/netscape.  Of course, system profiles will
be fully customizable so that virtual dependencies can be satisfied exactly how
you'd like them to be.  One sentence summary: recursive pkgmerging and
"emerging" will work perfectly very very soon.

Once I get these major improvements incorporated into ebuild, we'll be almost
ready to release 1.0_pre4.  After the release, I'd like to begin focusing more
on documentation, so that we're split about 50/50 between documentation
development and work on the Portage tree.

That's all for now,

--
Daniel Robbins					<drobbins@gentoo.org>
President/CEO					http://www.gentoo.org