List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] virtuals info?
From:       <drobbins () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2001-02-26 18:59:01

Hi there,

I'd like to get an update from the committers on our virtual packages.  Here's
a list of all the ones currently being used on Portage, along with commentary.

As far as I know, the following four virtuals were for the now defunct sys-build
tree and will be eliminated in the near future (Achim -- is this correct?)

	virtual/glibc
	virtual/bash
	virtual/flex
	virtual/bison

This next one is used so that users don't need to install all the languages that
come with KDE:

	virtual/kde-i18n

The next one is used to mean "a printing system of some kind".  I'm a bit iffy on
this one, because different printing systems (CUPS,lprng,lpr) work very differently.
Whether a package is compatible with a printing system is most likely going to be
package-specific. Does it make sense to remove it?

	virtual/lpr

virtual/python is used for static python and dynamic python.  This is OK, since they
both provide python interpreter functionality

	virtual/python

This next one is OK

	virtual/x11-web-browser

AFAIK, virtual/mta is used more as a protective measure against multiple mta installs

	virtual/mta

OK, what's virtual/alsa for.  Something to do with ALSA, but what?  Is our kernel package
supposed to provide this?

	virtual/alsa

And... virtual/kernel should be removed.  Right now, linux-sources and linux are providing
this package, but linux-sources _doesn't include a kernel!_.  So I don't think this
one is necessary.

	virtual/kernel

--
Daniel Robbins					<drobbins@gentoo.org>