List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop]  Re: cups vs. VMware
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2006-01-03 10:42:26

Lindsay Haisley posted <20060103024352.GA13851@fmp.com>, excerpted below,
on Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:43:52 -0600:

> I'm trying to configure an ancient HP Deskjet 1120C for my Gentoo desktop.
> It's connected to the only parallel port on the system, and works with both
> cups and in my Windows XP installation on VMware.
>
> The problem, however, is that cups wants to see the printer as /dev/lp0,
> which requires that I have the lp module installed.  VMware won't deal with
> /dev/lp0, and insists on using /dev/parport0 and requires that the ppdev
> module be installed.  If the lp module is installed, VMware complains about
> the printer port being in use by another device and turns off printing.
>
> Is there any way to get printing to work with both VMware and cups
> simultaneously?
>
> Cups is a royal PITA!!!

I certainly don't claim guru on this, but CUPS is a network printing
system, and I'd /guess/ that while you likely can't have them both
directly connected to the parallel port and printer, you should be able to
configure either VMWare directly, or a print driver on the VM inside it,
to print to CUPS, thru the  loopback network interface.  Note of course
that because it's a network service, you may have to reconfigure Netfilter
to allow the connections on the appropriate interface, if  you are running
a firewall.