List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Install Problem
From:       maillists <lists () gmnet ! net>
Date:       2005-11-17 18:16:32

Hi,

I am trying to install the latest liveCD 2005.1 on a Dell Optiplex GX100
and I am having a CDROM problem. It seems that the computer uses a
smaller than standard CD drive to fit in the case, but it came with no
CD drive so I hooked up a temporary standard CDROM drive with the cover
off just for the install.

When the CD boots, the first symptom of sickness is that it can't find
the gentoo "spash image". then it goes through the first part OK but
then hangs forever as soon as it gets to the following:

::Scanning for dm-mod...dm-mod loaded.
>> Activating udev
>> Making tmpfs for /newroot
>> Attempting to mount CD:- /dev/cdroms/cdrom0

I have 3 of these machines and all 3 have the same problem. I tried to
install another distro "Vector Linux" and it seems there are similar
issues with that too.

I don't think it is a hardware problem because I am using 3 different
machines and CD drives.

What can I do to fix this?

Thank you
Rick