List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] An OpenOffice question - SOLVED (more or less)
From:       Justin Denick <justin.denick () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-03-11 20:54:47

A friend and I worked on this for awhile and found that Abiword works
great for printing envelopes. Though to be sure you'll waste two or
three friguring out how to send them through the printer. Also we were
testing on Lexmark 4000, with narrow-edge first feeder.

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:02:24 -0600, Lindsay Haisley
<fmouse-gentoo@fmp.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I wasn't familiar with xpp, so I checked it out.
> It's a nice program, which apparently looks at the ppd file and does pretty
> much the Right Thing, however I couldn't get it to print an envelope.
> Setting the media type to 'Envelopes' causes the printer to demand input
> from the manual feed slot, which is appropriate, except that it keeps
> eating page after page, printing nothing.  Since I have envelope printing
> working OK, at least for biz-sized envelopes in OO, I'm going to proceed on
> the principle of 'if it works, don't fix it' and leave well enough alone.
> But again, thanks for the suggestion and the heads-up re. xpp, which is a
> nice little utility.
>
> Thus spake Philip Webb on Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 08:29:18PM CST
> > 050308 Lindsay Haisley complained about OO envelope management:
> >
> > you may have a good reason for wanting to use OO for this job
> > -- eg you want the envelope lines in the same file as the letter -- ,
> > but since an address for an envelope should be simple readable text,
> > why not use a text editor & print it with Xpp , which has envelope settings ?
> >
> > just my  CAD 0,02 .
> >
> > --
> > ========================,,============================================
> > SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
> > ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|  Centre for Urban & Community Studies
> > TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'  University of Toronto
> >
> > --
> >

> --
> Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human |     PGP public key
> FMP Computer Services |    creativity is like   |      available at
> 512-259-1190          |    trying to eradicate  | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
> http://www.fmp.com    |        dandelions"      |
>                       |      (Pamela Jones)     |
>
> --

Got Gentoo?

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
                -- Mark Twain