List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Burning and listening to music with ATAPI CD-RW
From:       Tamas Sarga <tamas () wansite ! homelinux ! net>
Date:       2005-01-18 16:12:12

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:

> Good day,
>
> how do I set up Gentoo so that I can both burn CDs and listen to audio
> CDs with kscd using the same ATAPI CD-RW drive? (Not both at the same
> time of course ;o))
>
> To be able to burn, I have compiled into the kernel ide-scsi support
> and added the kernel boot parameter hdb=scsi to grub.
> Now I can see the CD-RW with cdrecord -scanbus, which I could not
> before, but kscd can no longer find the audio CDs in the drive.
>
> I tried telling kscd to read from /dev/sg0 but that does not make kscd
> see the audio CD.
>
> I should say that I can do this under SUSE 9.0, which uses kernel
> 2.4.21, so I gather it must be possible on Gentoo also. But how? (I
> am only a few days old with Gentoo.)
>
> Best regards
> Johnny :o)

Hi,
IIRC, when I was on 2.4.x I was able to refer to the CD-ROM with
/dev/scsi-stuff and /dev/hdc too. I used the SCSI interface for burning
and the IDE interface for everything else. So I was able to set /dev/hdb
for kscd and it worked well.

HTH.
Cheers,
Tamas Sarga
--
A day is 24 hours long.			Egy nap 24 órából áll.
A box of beer contains 24 bottles.	Egy tálcán 24 üveg sör van.