List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Burning and listening to music with ATAPI CD-RW under kernel 2.4.26?
From:       YoYo Siska <yoyo () gl ! ksp ! sk>
Date:       2004-12-18 13:12:25

> >how do I set up Gentoo so that I can both burn CDs and listen to audio
> >CDs with kscd using the same ATAPI CD-RW drive? (Not both at the same
> >time of course ;o))
> >
> >To be able to burn, I have compiled into the kernel ide-scsi support
> >and added the kernel boot parameter hdb=scsi to grub.
> >Now I can see the CD-RW with cdrecord -scanbus, which I could not
> >before, but kscd can no longer find the audio CDs in the drive.
> >
> >I tried telling kscd to read from /dev/sg0 but that does not make kscd
> >see the audio CD.
> >

> It's been a while since I used 2.4 kernels and my memory is a bit
> inaccurate. But I definitely /could/ do both with Gentoo. I think you
> should not use /dev/sg0, but /dev/sr0 or /dev/scd0. sg0 is a "generic
> SCSI device". Whatever that means, it's something different from a block
> device (I think).

When I used 2.4 with scsi emulation, i had troubles setting dma on the
CDROM. I didn't find out on which device I should run hdparm, so I ran
in directly on /dev/hdb (like if it was not emulated) and it worked...
The only catch was that because of the emulation, devfs didn't create
/dev/hdb, so i had to do it manually with mknod /dev/hdb b 3 64
May be worth a try ;)

On the other hand I vaguely remember in the end of using 2.4
I tried the experimental ATAPI interface that was in 2.4 and it was
working for me..., so you could really try that.

yoyo

--
      _

YoYo () Siska