List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] X freezing? More conclusive answer!?
From:       Mark Knecht <mknecht () controlnet ! com>
Date:       2004-11-08 14:13:26

Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Sunday 07 November 2004 19:43, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>Paul,
>>    I don't know what tmpreaper is. What is similar to tmpreaper? Why
>>should this have changed recently?
>>
>>    Sorry, but I'm jsut a user type. Not a sys admin.
>

> tmpreaper is a package that can be used to clean up the /tmp directory. It
> looks at the date a file was last changed/accessed, but normally fucks up
> with the X temporary directories. This tool is usefull when a machine runs
> for months at the time, but as you don't know the tool you're almost
> certainly not using it.
>
> Paul

  Thanks for the explanation. I do not believe that I'm running anything
like that. This is a laptop set up 9 months ago using nothing more than
the standard Gentoo setup instructions. Basically I do email, browse and
play some games. My problems surfaced after starting to use recent
versions of Wine -AND- emerging the most recent version of xorg-x11.
Wine runs fine, but when I exit X to shut the machine down the machine
would lock up. However, if I don't run Wine I never seem to see the problem.

    I've switched back to xorg-6.7 and I'm not seeing the problem nearly
as much.

- Mark