List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] What's next?
From:       Spider <spider () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-12-29 1:33:49

begin  quote
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:05:49 -0500 (EST)
"Donnie Berkholz" <spyderous@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Since the year's almost over, I thought this would be a good time to
> ask about what we want to do next year.
>
> I'd like to hear from each of you where you'd like to see the desktop
> project, and each of your respective subprojects, go over the next
> year.
>
> Goals, complaints -- anything is fair game.

wrecking zone :
   collaborative cvs to track things that will completely fuck the tree
up if we were to introduce them. Just so we can see what the scope is of
doing major redesigns . ( foser mentioned gtk+ -> gtk rename as one
idea )

de-crufting.

 a drive to take some common projects (kde, gnome , xfce? ) and hound
all arches to get to stable, then remove things from the tree..

QA Drive:
   Get our desktop releases to actually work dammit.

Integration:
   ppp + Gnome/kde please?
   log settings + permissions so desktop log handler tools work
   userhelper PAM handler?   (lets user get root + login in GUI mode,
see Fedora/RedHat )

   Menu spec.  Would be cool if we could actually get this working.

   Multimedia  : decent alsa loading scripts for one, let it integrate
nicely.  Make sure dvd's cdrw and such have working first time setups.

Flay-the-dev project:
   A project specifically made to reign in all developers who
consider flashy themes, ideas and remodifications of the week to be
valuable additions to the tree.     if anything is branded, then it has
to be done with extreme care and good peer review.  (This has been
discussed in the past)

Ovespanning:
   gentoo-desktop-theme:
  USE flag enabled desktop theme that includes all the glitz. icons,
desktop, splashscreens, gtk+ 1.2, 2.x, metacity, blackbox, openbox,
fluxbox, KDE + engine .

If I was to order them in priority:

1) Flay-the-dev
2) QA
3) Multimedia
4) premissions + userhelper
5) Decruft
6) ppp
7) Menu spec
..
..
..
99999992)    gentoo-desktop-theme:

//Spider
--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!