List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Errors when loging on via gdm
From:       Markus Nigbur <pYrania () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-12-29 1:26:29

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 19:53:38 -0500 (EST)
"Donnie Berkholz" <spyderous@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Mark <mark@mwgary.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'm well pleased with it, but I seem to have problems with user
> > logins via gdm.
> >
> > For some reason, it only allows root to login.  When I try my
> > ordinary user account, I get a little box that says "Your session
> > only lasted 10 seconds" and them goes straight back to the logon
> > screen.
> >
> > The following errors are reported in .xsession-errors file:-
> >
> > /etc/X11/gdm/Presession//Default: Registering your session with wtmp
> > and utmp
> > /etc/X11/gdm/Presession//Default: running: sessreg -a -w
> > /var/log/utmp-x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l :0 mark
> >
> > As root can logon with out problems I'm assuming its a permissions
> > problem somewhere, but *where* exactly would I fix that.
> >
> > If anyone can throw some light on this, I would be very grateful, as
> > I don't want to continue using the root account for obvious reasons.
> >
> > As an asside, I have no problems at all with loging in through the
> > text console.
>
> You might want to check whether /tmp is 1777 and whether
> /home/$USER/.Xauthority is writable by $USER.

It's most probably the users .Xauthority that's owned by root:root. I've
seen this happen a few times and even once on one of my boxes. Anyway, i
weren't able to track it down any further. chown <user>:users
.Xauthority will fix it.

-- Markus

--
Markus Nigbur