List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Which is heavier? KDE3.1x or Gnome2
From:       Anders Johansson <andjoh () rydsbo ! net>
Date:       2003-04-15 22:55:02

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 00:47, Susie wrote:

> I'm considering trying them as I've not tried either for quite some
> time.  I've heard of swap issues or something with gnome 2 where it
> consumes alot of memory.  With kde I've also heard it has quirks.  I'm
> thinking about trying either or both but also using openbox inside
> it(hence my last message asking about those that may of used openbox
> instead of kwin).

I've used both for a while now, and with the latest gnome and the latest
kde I think they're about equivalent. I fond both to be quite speedy and
lean (of course, everything is relative. Compared to fvwm they're huge
monsters still).

I don't think you'd see much difference by replacing kwin with openbox.
kwin is very small. The memory consumption comes from all the programs
you run on top of it.

> When I do an emerge -p gnome that is quite the list I must say.  Doesn't
> tell me file sizes for me to guess at how large it actually is however.
> With kde the list of packages was much smaller.

But much, much bigger. gnome is much more subdivided. With kdenetwork,
for example, you get kmail, ksirc, knode, kit, kaddressbook, etc etc
etc. In gnome, the corresponding programs have their own packages.

regards
Anders