List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] issuing halt command as user
From:       "A. Craig West" <acwest-gentoo-desktop () craigwest ! net>
Date:       2002-12-05 16:54:58

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Tom Caudron wrote:

> A quick question (I hope).
>
> I've set up Gentoo with Gnome (no KDE at all) and when I exit Gnome, I am
> unable to perform a shutdown (i.e., I cannot select Log Out from the menu,
> then choose Shut Down from the dialog box...or more specifically, I can, but
> it does no good).  To turn the system off, I have to Log out of Gnome, then
> log out of the session, log in as root, and issue a halt command.  I cannot
> issue a halt command at all as a user.  Is there some setting I've failed to
> change?

This has got to be getting up there on most Frequently Asked Questions... If
you want to be able to shutdown from inside Gnome, you need to make
/sbin/shutdown (and possibly /sbin/halt) suid root. Your normal account
doesn't have permision to do a shutdown or restart.

--
Craig West         Ph: (416) 567-1491	|  It's not a bug,
acwest-sig@craigwest.net              	|  It's a feature...