List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Since the forums are down I will ask here
From:       Tom Prado <tprado () charter ! net>
Date:       2002-10-18 21:17:59

I'm unclear what lack of anoncvs mirror of the portage tree has to do with
protecting your own custom ebuilds.   PORTDIR_OVERLAY points to the top
level path of your local portage tree.  This "local" portage tree only
contains _your_ custom ebuilds.  emerge rsync still writes to
/usr/portage.

So...
have PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/portage.local   in /etc/make.conf

and put your own ebuild in there so if if you have a ebuild
sys-apps/foo/foo-1.0.ebuild then put it there:
/usr/portage.local/sys-apps/foo/foo-1.0.ebuild

when you do a ebuild foo-1.0.ebuild digest, the digest files get put in
the portage.local area.

The next time you do a emerge rsync.  portage.local remains intact.

Tom Prado