List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Re: Since the forums are down I will ask here
From:       Nicholas Wourms <nwourms () netscape ! net>
Date:       2002-10-17 23:02:10

Tony Clark wrote:

> You should set this in /etc/make.conf
>
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage  <- where ever it is
>
> tony
>

> On Thursday 17 October 2002 17.09, Keith Hudson wrote:
>> Is there a way to protect personal ebuilds? When I do a emerge rsync it
>> blows away my custom ebuilds.
>>
>> If not may I suggest the creation of /usr/portage/personal or something
>> along that line and when you do a emerge it checks for the newest
>> non-blocked version in both the normal ports tree location and in the
>> personal directory.  If I could program I would do it.
>>

>> V/R
>>
>> Keith

That's all fine and good, but it gets a little hard when you get more than
25 custom ebuilds.  The most optimal thing would be to set up a cvs mirror
on SourceForge, just like the kde people did.  If you don't believe me,
traceroute anoncvs.kde.org.  Look, I don't really understand why the
maintainers are so dead set against mirroring the CVS tree.  It makes much
more sense IMHO and everyone wins.