List:       gcc-fortran
Subject:    GSoC 2008
From:       Janus Weil <jaydub66 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-26 0:47:38

Dear gfortraners,
after having successfully participated in Google's Summer of Code last
year, working on gfortran, I'm thinking about applying again this year.
I still don't know for sure if I will have the time, but I would
definitely like to.

Now the most obvious thing for me to do would be to continue working on
last year's project, namely procedure pointers and type-bound
procedures. As you probably remember I implemented most of the basic
PROCEDURE syntax, which went into the 4.3, but didn't really finish
procedure pointers. So I could try to finish it this year and see how
far I get into type-bound procedures.

First question: Do you think this would be helpful at this point, or is
there any other project you would prefer me to do instead (may it be
more urgent/more important/more appropriate for SoC/etc)? I remember
Paul making some kind of plan for F2003 some weeks ago (connected to
parametrized derived types). I don't know how far that has gone now, and
how my efforts would fit in there.

Another thing that I noticed is that there seems to be a lack of
documentation for the gfortran front end, and its internal
representation in particular. For C/C++ one can find a lot of
information, while for Fortran there is basically nothing, which makes
it very hard for beginners (like me) to get into gfortran. Last year I
was mostly working on pure syntax stuff which was not going very deep
into the internals of gfortran, but for procedure pointers I guess some
more knowledge of the internal representation would be needed.

So, second question: Do you think a project concerning documentation
would be worthwhile to think about? Would this be appropriate for Summer
of Code? And would it be satisfying to only work on documentation
instead of doing real coding? I guess for me it would be more
interesting to work on a F2003 feature like procedure pointers, but if
people think setting up some solid documentation would be more helpful,
I would also be willing to do that.

And then, third question, if I would decide to apply for GSoC and find a
suitable project, would there be anyone willing to be my mentor? Last
year this was a bit of a problem, and in the end Steven Bosscher did it,
just because no one else would do it, and although he's not very active
on gfortran any more. But he basically ended up doing only the
'official' stuff (which is not a lot), and I was communicating much more
with other people about the project itself and the technical details. It
would be great if this year someone could be mentor who is closer to the
project itself. I think the 'official' stuff for Google is really not a
lot of work at all. There is just some midterm evaluation and a final
evaluation, each consisting only of a short questionnaire. Apart from
that it would be just me getting on your nerves and asking lots of
stupid questions, which I'll do anyway to anyone who is subscribed to
the mailing list ;)

Would be great to hear some opinions from you guys.
Cheers,
Janus