List:       fvwm95
Subject:    [FVWM95] more insight in the TaskBar crashes
From:       Mike Hollyman <mikeh () uiuc ! edu>
Date:       1998-09-11 18:07:02

I've narrowed down my Sun Solaris 2.6 kernel crashes to the
FvwmTaskBar.c code.  When the system crashes, the error message:

received SIGPIPE signal: exiting... from FvwmTaskBar.c
is displayed TWICE on the screen, like it's being run on both
processors at the same time.

That ConsoleMessage() routine is doing something to a Sun, that if
you do not have something trapping the console messages, like
xconsole or fbconsole, the Sun Kernel crashes and must be powercycled.

Anyone know why the "Quit"  function would possibly send two
requests to FvwmTaskBar to be killed?  That's probably the initial
condition causing this, the second is a bug in solaris that kills the
kernel if 2 things write to the console at the same time, I suppose.

Mike Hollyman				   www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/mikeh
Computing & Communications Services Office
College of Engineering Workstation Labs Manager
(217) 244-8724  	  --finger mikeh@uiuc.edu for PGP Public Key