List:       fvwm95
Subject:    [FVWM95] fvwmtaskbar and multiproc machines
From:       Mike Hollyman <mikeh () uiuc ! edu>
Date:       1998-09-10 15:18:19

I have a lab of Sun Ultra 2's with dual processors and am
having some problems with fvwm95 causing the kernel to trap and
exit, leaving no crash dump to debug. :)

I think I've narrowed it down to a basic set of constraints and would
appreciate any help someone could offer on this.

On a multi-processor Sun, if I am running with the FvwmTaskBar,
no xconsole or other device to capture console messages and
a  few programs running, when I send the Quit function to fvwm95,
the machine will trap the kernal and hard-hang, requiring a powercycle
to come back.

Is there anything special that FvwmTaskBar is doing to the console
that could cause some multithreaded problems?  If I run Suns fbconsole
or xconsole, this does not happen.  Without those, I get messages
like ffb: buffer overflow and ffb: read error

It seems that something is competing for the console between the
Quit function and what FvwmTaskBar does to clean up on exit.

Any ideas?

My workaround is to just run xconsole, or fbconsole and I'm working with
Sun to try and determine why the kernel bails, but I wanted to ask here
for any insights on this.

Thanks!

Mike Hollyman				   www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/mikeh
Computing & Communications Services Office
College of Engineering Workstation Labs Manager
(217) 244-8724  	  --finger mikeh@uiuc.edu for PGP Public Key