List:       fuse-devel
Subject:    Re: [fuse-devel] fusexmp hangs.. wont die
From:       Jochen Roderburg <roderburg () uni-koeln ! de>
Date:       2009-08-30 8:12:30

 <jojy.varghese@...> writes:

> I am just new to FUSE and as a first step, I tried running the
> example "fusexmp". Unfortunately it hangs and I am unable to kill it. These
> are the steps I did:
>
> 1. I am running 2.6.18-8.el5PAE #1 SMP kernel. The kernel didnt have
> fuse.ko module. So I had to get the kernel source to build the fuse module.
> 2. Since I couldnt get hold of the source code for PAE version of the
> kernel, I downloaded 2.6.18-8 from kernel.org and built fuse module
> and "insmod" ed it.
> 3. Built the fuse 2.8.0 source tar ball (which built the examples also by
> default)
> 4. Created /mnt/fuse directory
> 5. Ran examples/fusexmp /mnt/fuse -d
>
> It just sits there doing nothing. When i type mount command, it doesnt show
> the fuse filesystem mounted. Also, i can not seem to kill the process(Yes
> used kill, kill -9 etc etc)

That sounds just like the same experience I just have with my first encounters
with fuse. My real application is vdfuse, an utility which is supposed to mount
virtual disk images as used by the VirtualBox virtualization package.

As test I then tried the hello example from the fuse distribution and see the
same behaviour.

..../hello /mnt/vdi -d

brings:

FUSE library version: 2.8.0
nullpath_ok: 0
unique: 1, opcode: INIT (26), nodeid: 0, insize: 56
INIT: 7.11
flags=0x0000003b
max_readahead=0x00020000
   INIT: 7.12
   flags=0x00000011
   max_readahead=0x00020000
   max_write=0x00020000
   unique: 1, success, outsize: 40

and then every process which tries to acces the mountpoint /mnt/vdi hangs
forever. Not interruptible (e.g. no ^C or ^Z possible), not killable even with
kill -9. The "hello" program can be killed and then the hanging programs return
with error messages.

Some envolved program versions:
Linux Kernel 2.6.30 SMP (with fuse fs)
glibc 2.7
gcc 4.4.1
fuse 2.8.0 (from source)

Best regards,

Jochen Roderburg
RRZK
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10                    Tel.:   +49-221/478-7024
D-50931 Koeln                          E-Mail: Roderburg@Uni-Koeln.DE
Germany