List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    Re: [Full-Disclosure] internet-explorer: bug or feature?
From:       Andrew Clover <and-bugtraq () doxdesk ! com>
Date:       2004-03-31 22:28:36

<ko5@hush.com> wrote:

 >   about:<script>alert('*plopp*');</script>

 > a small alert popps up and says me '*plopp*', so it seems, that i can
 > inject any code i want.

Originally reported here:

   http://www.doxdesk.com/personal/posts/bugtraq/20010819-ie.html

This was eventually fixed in IE6 SP1, after it was discovered that due
to a parsing error this could be abused to execute in the security
context of any target domain.

 > i am not sure if its what the 'about:'-construct is for

It was just another random pointless feature. IE has a lot of these.
Sometimes they prove a security liability and very occasionally they get
removed, but no-one seems to have thought of not including them in the
first place.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and@doxdesk.com