List:       freetype
Subject:    Re: MICRE13B true type fonts
From:       Werner LEMBERG <sx0005 () sx2 ! HRZ ! Uni-Dortmund ! DE>
Date:       1999-09-29 22:46:33

   I am having a problem with a ttf file that I moved to a Linux box and
   am trying to work with using FreeType 1.2.

BTW, FT 1.3 is out...

   The ttf file is a font file that holds MICR fonts used in check
   writing.  I can see all the glyphs available when I run the ftview
   program against the ttf file.  But, when I try ftstring with a
   string such as '1234567' all I get returned is glyph 0 repeated
   string length times.

ftview doesn't use a cmap to display the glyphs.  And ftstring only
checks for a Unicode encoded font.  Your font most probably has
Microsoft Symbol encoding (PID=3, EID=0) -- you may try `ftzoom -p 3
-e 0 <your_font>' to test whether my assumption is correct.

   What I want to do is use the ftstrpnm to generate bitmaps that can
   then be sent to the printer using PCL codes.  I'm not sure if this
   is even feasible or would work??  I am just trying to figure out a
   cost effective solution for my institution and have some fun along
   the way!

It should work, but you probably must change the code around line 178
of ftstrpnm.c (in FT 1.3) to allow a (3,0) pid/eid pair.

    Werner