List:       freetds
Subject:    RE: [freetds] ODBC unit tests "funccall" and "transaction"
From:       Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-01-09 20:56:39

> > :((( Yes and no... going deeply with problem I realized that
> > I was using
> > 2.2.6 version, not 2.2.7... Doing debugging (using compiled unixODBC
> > with debug info) I realized that last updates do not handle  state
> > change very well (see line remove the SQLNumResults call in unixODBC
> > ChangeLog on website). For this reason SQLMoreResults works but next
> > SQLFetch ALWAYS fails (without even calling driver) so
> > multiple records
> > do not work as expected... also a metadata function fails if called
> > after a SQLExecDirect... These test:
> > - t0003
> > - tables
> > - moreandcount
> > - earlybind
> > are so expected to fail using unixODBC 2.2.7 due to unixODBC
> > bugs. So we
> > left with only funccall test (as before).
>
> Testing independently with unixODBC-2.2.7:
>
> $ grep FAIL nohup.out
> FAIL: t0003
> FAIL: funccall
> FAIL: tables
> FAIL: moreandcount
> FAIL: earlybind
>
> Freddy, I don't understand.  Is this a problem with unixODBC-2.2.7 that they
> have to fix, or a problem with FreeTDS?  Do we have to fix our code, or
> write workarounds to their implementation, or just wait for their next
> version?

Just to be clear: unixODBC 2.2.7 are buggy!
I just reported bug in unixODBC ML.

However funccall is expected to work !!! I put a
SQLCloseCursor(Statement) after "drop proc simpleresult2", this should
be the problem (it seems there is already a simpleresult2 procedure,
perhaps a previous test)...

> It's OK with me if we ship 0.62 with the caveat: "Works with unixODBC-2.2.6
> and not with unixODBC-2.2.7.  For unixODBC-2.2.7 support, wait for
> unixODBC-2.2.8 (or, wait for FreeTDS 0.62.1 or 0.63)."
>
> Most important is to be clear with the user about what he can expect.  Tell
> me what I should say.

Well at the end
- do not use 2.2.7, it do not work correctly (FreeTDS or not)
- 2.0x have problem with SQLEndTran. transaction test works just cause
it contain a WORKAROUND to fix this issue but all application should add
this workaround too
- 2.0x (I didn't test others version) have design problems with 64bit
platform
- 2.2.6 is expected to work (HP/UX mssql2k, Linux mssql2k, Linux Sybase
11.9.2)
- 2.2.3 seems to work also good.

freddy77