List:       freetds
Subject:    [freetds] Re: More ODBC driver documentation desired
From:       Steve Langasek <vorlon () netexpress ! net>
Date:       2002-02-05 0:22:39

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:49:31PM +0000, Dan Melomedman wrote:
> >There was the inline driver for x86 platforms, just google search it.
> >(It's based on our libtds).  Beyond that, there are no other open-source
> >ODBC drivers for MS SQL that I'm aware of.  You could use one of the ODBC
> >bridge products.  But, why not describe what you're having problems with
> >and maybe one of us here can help.

> freeodbc.org looks dormant, the binary is seg. faulting with FreeTDS 0.53,
> and source code is not available. What's up?

Hmm, looks like it's a binary-only driver from a company that no longer
exists.  Segfaults don't surprise me -- even if it was compiled against
FreeTDS, it was probably compiled against an older version of FreeTDS
that we're no longer binary-compatible with.

> Which driver manager do you FreeTDS developers favor? From production
> standpoint, which driver manager and drivers are less problematic? Thanks.

I favor unixodbc, because I'm the maintainer of the Debian packages for
it and I keep those packages more up-to-date than the iODBC packages are
kept.  Whether there's an empirical difference between the two driver
managers when compared head-to-head, I don't know.  We're also a long
way out from using the FreeTDS ODBC driver in a production system.

> I am trying to use the FreeTDS driver with OpenLDAP's back-sql (which
> allows part of the DIT to be in an SQL server through ODBC) and UnixODBC.
> However, back-sql is complaining:

> In other words, looks like it needs some ODBC functionality which is not in
> the FreeTDS ODBC driver, but I can't be sure. The 'isql' utility works fine
> with our database through the FreeTDS driver.

One UI glitch I've personally noticed just in testing the driver is that
when using DataManager (unixodbc's GUI database browser), I get numbers
instead of column names in the output.  This is just an example --
everyone involved knows that the TDS ODBC driver is incomplete.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer