List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: log clear passwords
From:       Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen () ispro ! net ! tr>
Date:       2003-08-31 4:18:22

Yet you can see that they type the password wrong. If you are using chap
then you should accept that you cant learn more than that.

As a matter of fact using CHAP is not any more secure than using PAP if
you are using it for dialup. It is extremely difficult to spy on a
dialup line anyhow (thus wouldnt worth for cracking either) If the
password exchanged between the client and the NAS is not encrypted, who
cares? :) The information exchanged between the NAS and the FreeRadius
is already encrypted so there is also very little risk of compromising
the security.

The downside of using CHAP is if you lose your user database, then you
are doomed. You must change every user's password doh. If the user
forgets his password then it should be trivial to give a new one though.

So for dialup environment, using PAP is actually acceptable. Also you
can use PAP with cleartext passwords too if you want.

Evren