List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Dropping Connection
From:       "Fabian Franz" <FabianFranz () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-09-20 7:33:30

> I've recently installed Centos 5 on a work server that I plan to operate
> the Pentaho BI suite on. On the server I installed nxserver from the
> repo and set it up accordingly.

Which version? Whenever you ask for a problem, tell the authors exactly which version \
you are using.

> The weird thing is that after an evening
> at home logged on via vpn and everything going swimmingly well, I've
> arrived at work today to find that both my windows and gentoo versions
> of nxclient drop their connections roughly every 5 minutes, it just
> kicks them both out.

That is strange.

> I thought this was a little odd as it kills off all
> of my ssh connections(even just plain ssh terminals) and wont let me log
> back in for 30 seconds or so

What means kick off? How do they exit?

> and then it lets me back in straight where
> I left off, so its not the nxserver dying and its doesn't appear to be a
> hardware issue as I've even put my hdd in a 2nd box today and tried it
> in there with the same effect.

And this only happens once you start up a session with nxclient?

> My messages and nxserver logs are empty, I've not got my firewall
> switched on or SELinux(we're behind a corporate firewall so I figure
> we're reasonably safe).

You're messages and nxserver logs can't be empty, please read the FAQ on \
troubleshooting to at least get the logs. Also get the and post the client logs.

Given the global nature of the problem, I however doubt that NX has anything to do \
with it.

Try the following:

- Create a new user "b" additionally to your user "a" on 'remote'
- Let "b" login into the machine 'remote' from:

* the same machine you login to 'remote' via nxclient
* another machine, where you have a screen running to login into 'remote'

If your nxclient also throws out user 'b' then you have a serious security issue (not \
your fault though) as no user should be able to kill off the session of another user.

Best regards,

Fabian