List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    [FreeNX-kNX] Keyboard mapping problem
From:       rmj () ast ! cam ! ac ! uk (Roderick Johnstone)
Date:       2005-03-01 10:09:06

Hi

I've got nx working pretty well (thank you everyone for this software)
but the keyboard mapping is US, not GB as I selected in the client software.

Windows Client: nomachine 1.4.0-92
Freenx server: freenx-0.2.8-0.fdr.0, nx-1.4.0-0.fdr.4 on Fedora Core 2,
from Rick Stout's page.

I also made the sym links on the server that Rick suggested on his page:
cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules
ln -sf xorg-it.lst xfree86-it.lst
ln -sf xorg.lst xfree86.lst
ln -sf xorg.xml xfree86.xml
# this last one may already exist
ln -sf xorg xfree86

I can fix the keyboard mapping problems by hand if I do the following in
a terminal window in the NX session:

linux> setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout gb
Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
Use defaults: rules - 'xorg' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'
free(): invalid pointer 0xbfe4f2e8!

Note, this produces an error, but does actually fix the mapping so my
pipe and hash keys etc are appropriate for the GB layout.

If I re-issue this command the error is not reported again.

Can anyone with a non-us keyboard confirm this behaviour?

Could someone suggest how I can trace the problem - I'm not even sure if
this is a client-side or server-side issue, or something peculiar to my
own setup here.

Many thanks

Roderick Johnstone