List:       freenet-chat
Subject:    Re: [Freenet-chat] Let's revive fnnews
From:       Aaron P Ingebrigtsen <krepta () juno ! com>
Date:       2000-08-31 8:25:50

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:11:17 -0700
freenet-chat-request@lists.sourceforge.net writes:

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 06:08:47 -0400
> From: Travis Bemann <bemann@bemann.sourceforge.net>
> To: freenet-chat@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Freenet-chat] Let's revive fnnews
> protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c"
>

> --sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c
>
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 01:10:31AM -0700, Aaron P Ingebrigtsen
> wrote:
> > I've never used Fnnews, and have no idea how to use it.  I really
> love
> > the QWK offline mail format that a lot of BBSes use, and my
> favorite
> > offline mail reader is definitely Blue Wave.  What is the link for
> > getting Brandon's Fnnews-NNTP gateway deamon and fnclient
> 0.1.0(01)?
>
> I actually don't know how to get the fnnews-NNTP gateway, but you
> can
> get fnclient 0.1.1 at:
>
> http://freenet.sourceforge.net/contrib/fnclient-0.1.1.tgz

Oh yeah!!  I forget there was a link on the website.  ooops!

> > I'm not used to usenet newsgroups and have a hard time dealing
> with it,
> > but I'm learning. :)
> >
> > If it is NNTP, doesn't that mean that fnnews is in fact a usenet
> > newsgroup and can be accessed with a newsreader like Mozilla Mail
> or
> > Outlook Express?
>
> It is *not* NNTP, but Brandon has written a program which acts as an
> fnnews-NNTP gateway, which allows you to use a standard newsreader
> read fnnews (which is not normally accessible through a normal
> newsreader).

So this thing takes the Fnnews input and then outputs in as if it is an
NNTP remote server that your newsreader can work with?

That would be cool. :)

Does Fnnews somehow use Freenet in a way I am totaly unaware of?  Or is
it it's own server or whatever?

> > How do I get a keyindex?  I don't know the right command line for
> getting
> > a keyindex useing freenet.
>
> There is a page linked to by the development page at the Freenet
> website which has links to several different keyindex servers.  If
> you
> want to run a keyindex server yourself, just have a website and run
> fproxy or FCRC on it.

I'm no developer, and don't know how to use fproxy or FCRC on anything.
Nor do I know how to create much of anything in the HTML world without a
WYSIWYG interface.

Why can't you make it so that whenever you want a list of keys you just
run freenet and it gets a masterlist that everyone else on the freenet
uses?  And whenever you instert a file it uploads a key to this
masterlist.

I'll find the links.  Thanks.

> --
> Travis Bemann
> Sendmail is still screwed up on my box.
> My email address is really bemann@execpc.com.
> --sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

> --sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--

Krepta = "The Child of the Stars" - My Teacher is an Alien (Children's
Sci-Fi Series)